Wednesday 11 November 2015

Alan Turing and meaning making

Alan Turing wrote a famous paper in the 1930s that basically said we just needed one machine that could be programmed to do many things. Thinking about the different meanings we bring to encounters with one another. My 'good morning' to my neighbours and their words and smiles back has many differing for me and presumably for them too. I am not responsible for the meaning my words and smile have for them - although it is not as simple as that. I have to take responsibility for what their words and smile means to me but it is not as simple as that. It takes/took a lot of work to 'reprogramme' how the world affects me! Can I really be present to you in your uniqueness or am I (almost) always fitting you into my existing meaning-makings? I hope that makes sense!

No comments: